Twitter Lead Generation Cards
This document contains conceptual and procedural information for understanding how to use Twitter Lead Generation Cards with ExactTarget. Twitter Lead Generation Cards are used to collect leads, build email subscription lists, and support existing marketing campaigns.
The Twitter Lead Generation Card lets users express interest in your brand through a one-click response to a promoted Tweet. After expanding your Tweet, users see a description of the offer and the call to action. The Twitter Card automatically populates the user's name, Twitter handle (e.g. @ExactTarget), and email address when the user clicks a button, then sends their information directly and securely to your ExactTarget list or data extension. This feature is available now to Twitter managed ad clients, and Twitter plans to expand this capability to more advertisers in the future.
Pardot customers can also use Twitter Lead Generation Cards. See our Pardot FAQ for details.
Gather the following information from your ExactTarget account before creating a Twitter Lead Generation Card.
- In your ExactTarget account, find a list to submit info to. Note its List ID (lid), which is found in the list's properties.
- Find your Web Collect URL. You must know which instance you are using. When you have determined which instance you are using, use this table to determine your Web Collect URL.
Your Web Collect URL must be stripped of variables. (Variables can be added again later using the Twitter Ads interface.) Also note that the “http://” prefix should be changed to “https://” -- Twitter will accept only the bare Web Collect URL using the “https://” prefix.
See the example below, which shows the Web Collect URL for server instance S4.
- Note your Member ID (MID) so that Twitter can map stored subscriber information it sends to ExactTarget correctly.
- Create a Profile Attribute in your list's Subscriber attributes so you can store the Twitter user's handle. Name this new attribute TwitterHandle and define its field type as Text.
How To Use Twitter Lead Generation Cards with ExactTarget
Lead Generation Cards support Web Collect, which means you can capture email addresses in any list for which you have the List ID. Currently, Twitter allows the capture of an email address, the real name of the Twitter user, and the Twitter screen name (such as @ExactTarget). These standard values can be mapped to fields in your ExactTarget account.
To implement more complex scenarios, use Twitter Lead Generation Cards with ExactTarget Landing Pages to provide advanced scripting and Triggered Send options.
How To Link ExactTarget and Twitter Ads
Follow this procedure to configure Lead Generation Cards to work with ExactTarget.
- Name your Card. Upload an image for your promotion. Give it a description and call to action.
- In the Card Details (Fallback) URL field, type a URL for prospective subscribers to visit when they view the tweet through software that does not support Cards, like TweetDeck. Establishing a landing page containing an opt-in form is recommended, especially if you are running the Lead Generation Card with a specific campaign.
- In your Twitter Ads account, In the Technical Settings section, type your Web Collect URL into the Submit URL field. Change the Submit method from POST to GET using the dropdown menu.
- Within the User Information To Be Received Section, please enter the following information into the corresponding Custom Key Name fields:
Name – Enter the Profile Attribute that is used to hold the subscriber’s name. Usually, this will be either First Name or Full Name, unless it is customized within your system.
Email – Enter Email Address into the field, exactly as written. Entering an alternative naming convention could result in the subscriber failing to be captured.
Screen name – Enter TwitterHandle or the name of the Profile Attribute which you set up as described in Step 4 of the Prerequisites section.
- In the Custom Hidden Data Values section, define the first field on the left as MID. Type your ExactTarget Member ID in the corresponding field on the right.
- Click the Add another hidden field button.
- In the new Custom Hidden Data field, type LID into the left field, and the actual List ID into the corresponding field on the right.
NOTE: Prospective subscribers may be added to only one list at a time. The ExactTarget system cannot accept submissions to multiple lists at the same time.
- Optional: If this Lead Generation Card is associated with a specific campaign, add a field called CampaignID to associate captured data to the campaign in question, as illustrated in the screenshot above.
- Click Update Card.