Using Send Logging
Contact your ExactTarget account representative to enable the send logging feature.
You may want to be able to have subscriber or send-specific attributes returned with tracking data. You do not want this data to be overwritten by future campaigns, as are subscriber attributes or data extension fields.
Send logging also could be accomplished by persisting the desired data elements to the Always On database. This would increase the complexity of the lookup process, however, and would also increase storage costs, because the period of time the data must be available to support data extracts is significantly less than the time the data is needed to serve up links.
Our solution is to allow you to log sends, including specified subscriber attributes, data extension fields, and calculated values, to a data extension. You then can use this data extension in queries, filters, and extracts.
To enable send logging, you first define a data extension to hold the log. You do this by creating a data extension from the Send Logging Data Extension template. That data extension will be used for logging for all sends. You can create only one data extension from the Send Logging Data Extension template. You will be able to suppress send logging at a send definition level.
The following rules are used to auto-populate log field values:
- If the send is to a data extension and that data extension has a field with the same name as the log field, the data extension field value will be used to populate the log field.
- If there is a subscriber attribute with the same name as the log field, the subscriber attribute value will be used to populate the log field.
- If there is a variable defined within the email with the same name as the log field (except for the @ prefix), the variable value will be used.
- Required fields without a value will be set to an appropriate empty default for the data type (text will default to '', numbers to 0, Booleans to false, and dates to current date). Non-required fields will receive a null value. A notification will be sent once per job when this occurs to the notification email address of the owner of the send.
- In the event of data type mismatches, required log fields will be set as described in step 4. Non-required fields will receive a null value. A notification will be sent once per job when this occurs to the notification email address of the owner of the send.
- Any errors that occur as a result of send logging should be logged to the error log and result in a notification email being sent to the owner of the job.
- The system will log both successful and unsuccessful sends to allow you to retrieve your metadata around failed sends.